Monday, July 30, 2012

Twitter and the Olympics



I find the IOC’s restrictions on social media with respect to Olympic athletes a tricky one to argue.  On the one hand, I understand the desire to limit posting conditions, as there can be huge PR repercussions with respect to both the athletes themselves as well as their sponsors.  There are many reasons why a sponsor or a country representing an athlete would want to remain conservative in the social media realm, including the avoidance of embarrassment and violation of sponsor-athlete contracts.  In addition, given all the buzz regarding sexual activity around the “village”, it is understandable that certain parties may want to enforce some communication boundaries.  That said, on the other hand, we have the inevitable fact that people will post whatever they want about anything, and this may include Olympic athlete commentary.  Perhaps it is better to let the athletes speak as they wish and fuel the social media marketing fire.  Although, I would say that I agree with the IOC that each athlete should be speaking about himself in diary form.  On this last point I am torn between two reactions:  (1) Fundamentally, I have reservations about restrictions on freedom of speech; and (2) A sponsor should be able to enact whatever restrictions it wants if it agrees to fund an athlete.  To my second reaction, I will add that perhaps it should be the sponsor who writes these social media limitations with respect to their sponsored athletes, and not the IOC.

No comments: