Friday, July 27, 2012

Phone calls live!

I almost never call my friends anymore. If there's something I need to say to you that cannot be said in 160 SMS characters, it's going in an email. Even now, I'm having trouble thinking of a time when I make phone calls.

Except.

Except, I always seem to be calling businesses. I call restaurants when I want a reservation. I call the cable company when my internet is out (which it always seems to be). For businesses, when I search for you and the ad unit includes a phone number, that makes my life substantially easier. Especially if I'm searching on my phone.

Mark Suster takes this even further, to tell us about the results his portfolio company, Ring Revenue, is seeing. For low-end products, it's hard to justify the expense of having a call center. But, conversions drop off substantially for products priced above $150. As the price tag goes up, so does the user need to talk to a real person.

Even better, Ring Revenue says they see CTR increase by 12% and lead forms convert 15% better as well. That can make a real difference for a business.

Business takes place in the real world. There should be something linking the internet to that real world. A phone is a great way to do that because it's real-time, it's personalized and it creates high-value leads. Those are buzzwords I hear about new startups all the time and this one requires no fancy computer algorithms to solve.

No comments: