Thursday, July 26, 2012

Google flight search is already cool. But can be even better.


Google flight search is so cool and breakthrough in many many ways. (Try it out: http://www.google.com/flights/)

Despite its greatness, however, for a super frequent flyer like me (I’ve flown more than 120,000 miles in the last 6 months), it’s never a one stop shop. I have to use it, in combination with Kayak. Just to name a few: I couldn’t search by fare class. I couldn’t do open jaw or multiple legs search. Alliance search was created by engineers not by travelers. When I’m searching for a Star Alliance flights, I (and most people) want ONLY flights OPERATED by airlines in that alliance not combination with airlines in that alliance or marketed by that airline for mileage and frequent flyer purposes. I couldn’t search originate from other place other than the US. Lack of buying options apart from few merchant are just few of the examples.

If Google can improve this, say goodbye to flights like Kayak or Hipmunk.
 

1 comment:

Paolo said...

I've just looked through Google Flights website and I think that this could really change the way people look for flights. I think that it is really revolutionary at least for three reasons:
- Easy to use: if you want to look for another date or location you don't have to start your research from scratch or reload the webpage
- Speed: once you change some variables new results appear immediately without waiting or pushing any button
- Alternatives: no matter which location you put as arrival, you will automatically see the price for landing in nearby cities, so that you can adjust your schedule according to your budget