Monday, June 16, 2014

Healthier choices being made through food aps



During my first week of summer vacation, I took a wonderful trip to Italy. In my seven days abroad, I delighted in foods that tasted better than anything I regularly have access to back in New York City. I dreaded the staple foods that would await me stateside, after indulging in the creamier and “carb-ier” Italian fare. However, I was pleasantly surprised to return to the US feeling healthier, lighter, and more energetic. 

Now that I am back to my regular routine, I cannot expect to dine on fabulous, home-cooked, farm-to-table treats. I can, however, make healthier purchasing choices that will afford me the same benefits as those I experienced after a week in Italy.

I regularly follow Prevention.com and this was the first website I went to for help. Happily, I came across this article: http://www.prevention.com/food/smart-shopping/5-food-apps-smartphones. Although it is over a year old, it presented me with smart phone apps that are still up and running. I’ve downloaded three of them, and so far they’ve helped me make low-investment, high-impact changes in the way I purchase and consume groceries.

My favorite app from this website is fooducate. I used this a few days ago when I went to a local grocery store to restock my fridge. I love how it lets me scan barcodes and get immediate health information for many different food products. *Warning – this may limit Trader Joe’s basement shopping! (no Internet down there) :)

No comments: