Saturday, July 21, 2012

Facebook vs. Twitter

A recent post on forbes.com initially claimed that facebook ads were better than twitter ads. But, it didn't compare like ad units. So, the comparison basically was meaningless.

Of course, I found out about this through twitter, where tweeps were happy to share the right info (the author has since updated the post). But, the key takeaway from the amended article is that CTR are roughly the same for both facebook mobile and twitter ads at about 1-3%. Interestingly, on the desktop, CTR drops off precipitously. to under 0.1%. That's a big deal and says a lot about the upcoming future of mobile and its importance to the marketers trying to reach an audience.

The article claims that mobile ad units get better CTR because they're new and different. I think it's because they take up a much larger portion of screen real estate. So, it might be that the click throughs are more frequent, but I'd guess they're also of lower quality.

I know that I'll take advantage of the mobile ads when I push my products (have you seen A&B American Style Pepper Sauce, by the way?).

No comments: