Wednesday, June 11, 2014

My privacy is too high a price to pay.

Stop using my data against me. 

Thomas Lee seems like a nice guy and his article in the Sfgat entitled "Personalized ads haven't caught up to the digital age" seems like a pretty simple commentary on the state of targeted advertising. (Not sure who selected that picture to headline the article though...asian nerd superhero?) Yet, it speaks to our culture today that digital marketers are trying harder and harder to pinpoint exactly who I am, where I am just so that they can sell me some other thing or service that I really don't need.

The article quotes executives from Foursquare, Trulia and Best Buy amongst others as wanting to be able to target even better. It then suggests that more "innovation" is to come in this space as data truly becomes freed.

Please stop it.

At what point does the tipping point come when we finally realize that we can have the Internet and not have advertising? As consumers, we purchased products and services every day. The world does not work when we are constantly advertised to.

I am hopeful for the future.



No comments: