Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Captain America Converts for Dunkin Donuts

Because I need two promotions to get me to act on anything, Dunkin Donuts (DND) was recently able to complete a promotion I participated in at a Mets game a few months ago with the help of their promotion for the new Captain America movie.

The Mets had given me a discount coupon and I had noticed that Dunkin had a pretty flashy promotion going for the new superhero film, with red, white and blue Coolatas and theme cups for other drinks. I have been waiting 35 years for the Captain America movie, but a cup alone was not enough to get me into the store.

Once I used my Met discount card to obtain a latte, I then used the text code on the cup to enter the online contest Dunkin was running for the movie, and see the exciting content online.

The movie alone was not enough to get me to convert, but with my cheap latte, I was able to see a few of the Captain America promotions' possible conversion goals:

1. Entering personal info to sign up for the contest.
2. Entering personal info to sign up for Dunkin Donuts rewards program.
3. Returning to the site to see more previews and trailers.
4. Downloading wallpaper and other media.
5. Purchasing movie tickets.

Because the trigger for the contest was a text message, Dunkin and Marvel have the opportunity to locate where the promotion worked the best, especially when combining a few of the metrics above. Movie theater tickets are a highly local purchase as well, so this contest creates numerous data points for marketers to analyze.

Superhero movies are unique in that they appeal to a wide range of age groups compared to other action/big-budget films. By associating with a very mainstream product, albeit one with a focus in the northeast, Captain America's marketers seem to be focusing on adults age 35+, and this makes sense as it would be a valuable audience for Dunkin Donuts too. Captain America is mostly from the 60s and 70s, so the content matches the conversion goals as well.

No comments: