Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Facebook and Privacy

When I first joined facebook, I used the e-mail address that I have been using since 1998.

Up until that moment, I had no idea how facebook actually find the 'network' for its users.

Yup, they dug into my old email 'received' and 'sent' folder, and gave me a bunch of list of people that 'I might know'.

As I said earlier, that e-mail was used from 1998, when I was dating my ex-ex-ex-ex girlfriend. And I was ignorant and foolish enough to 'invite all', including my former girlfriends. I don't even want to talk about consequences. All I can say is.. it was 'disastrous'.

The reason that I bring out this issue is because of privacy.. Honestly, when I found out that facebook was very aggressive in ‘making connection’ among users, I was really afraid of using it.

For instance, a lady had a blind date with a man, and next day, she was freaked out to see the facebook recommending him as a new friend. She didn’t even let him know her e-mail address.. so guess what happened? Yes, after the date, he found her in the facebook and took a glance at it.. and facebook is assuming that they know each other, then sent the recommendation. Pretty spooky to me.

It will be a pleasant surprise if facebook can find an old friend of mine.. but it will be really embarrassing if facebook sends recommendation to my ex-girl friends or ex-bosses.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carolyn said...

The privacy as well as the security issue of Facebook should be seriously concerned. Just few weeks ago, I got an email saying that a friend of mine, he is a family member of the biggest global trading group in Hong Kong had trouble in london and needed money to get back to Hong Kong. There is also a picture of him taken in London attached in the email. I was so worried and called him directly. He said that he was in Hong Kong and had no idea of the email. He received more than 200 calls from friends that day. He said that the picture in the email was taken years ago in London and he only uploaded the picture on Facebook. It sounds easy to the swindlers to use the info on Facebook which I am quite worried about.