Thursday, July 07, 2011

Cross Promotions across Media - Fox Sports / American Idol

Does anyone know of any particularly successful and enticing cross-promotions between online, digital destinations and other media?

I am a huge fan, or have been this past season, of American Idol, so much so that they pushed me from my TV set to my computer to vote a couple of times. Definition of a successful cross-promotion.

I used to work for Fox Sports en EspaƱol and there were constantly links on the FSE website to and from the parent company site MSNBC.com, or suggestions on the website for articles in the FSE magazine, or for specials on the FSE TV station. The conversion rates were not high, though.

I love campaigns that successfully drive me from my computer to the radio, or vice versa, to TV, to Mobile, back to Computer.

Does anyone have any examples of these out of curiosity?

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I would like to comment in response to your request. A company that has used different media, in particular exploiting the power of the internet and of social networks is Old Spice. We saw an example of this in the managing marketing programs class, then I did some research because I found the campaign extremely interesting and powerful!..
Last year Old Spice launched a TV ad for its bodywash: a man on the back of a horse rides backwards on a beach and talks about the attractiveness of the smell of this product in women. The advertizing was very successful on TV, therefore the company decided to continue the story of the Old Spice guy with new episodes. However Old Spice wanted to target different audiences and a large number of new episodes featured on TV would have been a large investment.
They decided to launch a number of episodes online http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpUrz9RvuPk&NR=1, you should really watch a couple, they’re fun! Anyway, they created 200 videos customized to small communities of influentials on the web. The campaign was very powerful also enhanced by these influentials debating about these videos on Twitter, blogs etc. Therefore social media further amplified the resonance of the ad, inducing more than 200 million views on youtube!