Friday, August 05, 2011

The Fine Line b/w Paid & Organic Content for Daily Email Sites

My startup Sportaneous just had an article written on us in UrbanDaddy (see http://www.urbandaddy.com/nyc/gear/14009/Sportaneous_Finding_Pickup_Games_on_Your_Phone_New_York_City_NYC_Application)
and the early results are crazy...we've had 200 signups in the last 2 hours since the article went live. We've had 4 games proposed on our platform, and received useful feedback from 3 new users.

The fact that we are not an advertiser for UrbanDaddy -- i.e. none of us paid anything for this article, and that the people at UrbanDaddy somehow found out about us on their own and wrote about us is AWESOME. It actually restores my faith in UrbanDaddy, which I had heard only publishes things that people pay for, which raises an interesting question:

How much do daily email sites (UrbanDaddy, Thrillist, DailyCandy, etc.) lose by accepting advertisements and paid promotions? I know in my case when I heard that UrbanDaddy only wrote articles about people who paid for these articles I lost faith in it and stopped opening up their emails. Now that my startup is featured, I know that they obviously actually feature organic content they source themselves, which has made me more inclined to use UrbanDaddy (and other sites like it) in the future.

I know that Ben Lerer touched on this a little in class, but I'm curious what everyone thinks...is it worth it to include paid promotions/advertisements in the form of a "daily email"? Or does this form of promotion/advertising come too close to the unique value proposition of a daily email site (i.e. sourcing and presenting originally found products or services)?

No comments: