Monday, August 08, 2011

The rise of the tablets

I read an interesting article on adage about the rise of tablets and its effects on e-commerce. The article why tablets are probably going to be huge for shopping as tablet apps can display retail content in a way that resembles a catalog (far more attractive, with a fun interface), compared to smartphone apps and web sites.

The article also includes some interesting facts and projections on how tablets are affecting/will affect e-commerce, such as:
  • Already, 9% of the people who shop online have a tablet.
  • Tablets are taking off -- Forrester (independent technology and market research company)projects that 82 million Americans will own one by 2015.
  • The average retailer we survey says that 21% of the mobile commerce on their sites comes from tablets already.
  • According to a survey conducted jointly by Forrester and Bizrate, 47% of the tablet owners have bought something on their tablets, and another 13% have shopped with the tablet, even if they haven't bought yet.
  • Half of the tablet owners shop more on their tablets than on their smartphones (and nearly all of them have smartphones)

See full article:
http://adage.com/article/digitalnext/tablets-trick-mobile-commerce/228927/

3 comments:

Omar said...

I think your last statistic (that half of people prefer shopping on tablets over smartphones) is definitely the most relevant from a digital marketing perspective.

I wonder what tablet-specific strategies a digital marketer could utilize... two initial l thoughts would be:

1. use HTML5 or some platform agnostic code that will be optimized across the various tablets;

2. take advantage of whatever tablet-specific features there are; just like successful apps have done (e.g. Instagram and the other photo-sharing apps)

Welcome to Outer space said...

The statistic you included here about how many online purchases are already coming from tablet computers is very interesting to me. Twenty one percent seems very high considering that tablets have not been around for that long and also how few tablet owners there are out there relative to smartphone owners. This statistic could be due to the fact that more affluent shoppers shop online and are also more likely to have the newest gadget, but I think it has something larger to say about the streamlined functionality of tablets for shopping.

It seems to me, that with the exception of brick and mortar businesses that need smartphone apps for checkins, deals on the go etc., marketers should concentrate their app and mobile optimizing efforts on tablet computers. The tablet is the optimal device for shopping as it can comfortably be used on the couch, in bed or on the plane. Smartphone screens are just too small to browse pictures of products, while tablets are perfect for this job.

On a personal note, I have had a tablet for about a month now and it has greatly reduced my reliance on my smartphone. I now use the phone for making phone calls, texting, checking maps while on the go and checking email on the sly. Other than that, I wait patiently to use the tablet as the experience is just vastly more enjoyable.

Chanda Pen said...

I'm with Welcome to outer space, The only time I use my smartphone is when I don't have the tablet with me. Personally, if I have a wifi connection, I rather use my tablet than my smartphone.

In my opinion, digital marketers should focus on optimizing sites for the tablet market. If an end user can experience a full site with his/her tablet, he/she will be more willing to purchase the product they are browsing. However, if the experience is not there and I have to jump on my desktop or laptop, I'm more likely not to buy the product.

I'm sure the percentage will increase over time as more people own a tablet. This will definitely be an interesting space to watch and especially the push of converting most sites and applications to HTML5.