Monday, August 20, 2012

Augmented Reality


In class on Saturday, we learned about augmented reality. See the pic above for a perfect example, me interacting with virtual GE wind turbines. Pretty cool stuff, huh? It reminded me of one of my favorite movies, Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Image below, to refresh your memory:


An early example of augmented reality? Sure! I like the idea of layering a new level of information over what we see and experience in everyday life (or on one of our many screens!). Here is a quick video I found that really does a great job of explaining the concept of augmented reality:

Augmented reality video

As the technology develops, there will be loads of possible applications. I can't wait to see where this goes!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had to add on here, because check out the post I just saw on TechCrunch!

http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/20/the-zaphat-can-turn-you-into-a-zombie-sorta/

It's a new product from a company called Zappar that uses Augmented Reality in a fun new way. You purchase a hat (called a Zaphat) and download the corresponding app for iPhone or Droid and the hat's label communicates an AR message that turns the wearer's head into that of a zombie or any other avatar they choose. When viewed through the device, of course! It's a really interesting, fun way to use Augmented Reality for now, but, as the article points out, once AR technology becomes incorporated into glasses, etc, this concept could change how people present themselves to the world. Pretty crazy to think about, huh???