Monday, April 11, 2016

Bots acting like humans

It was news to me (until Professor Kagan told us) that bots can act like humans and so are even harder to detect than if they just acted like machines. I knew that fraud (and ad blockers and viewability) were three big challenges that digital marketers face, but I had no idea that bots could mimic human behavior and put items into shopping carts, for example. As the professor spoke, I realized that recently my computer has been running loudly a fair amount of late, and that it ate up my battery in about half the time it normally takes one day recently. I wonder if it was a bot taking control of my computer (if that is the right way to put that…?).

So, when I ran across this article this morning from emarketer, it caught my eye:


The article is based on data measured by Distil Networks, which is described as a “bot detection and mitigation services provider.” It found that almost 40% of “bad bots” are able to mimic human behavior and therefore show up as human traffic on Google Analytics and similar tools. And, depending on the size of a site, bad bots represent anywhere from 26–31% of a site’s total traffic (humans represent anywhere from 15-60%, and good bots (the ones that are gathering information used by organizations) comprise the remaining 9-54%. I was struck not only by the percent of traffic that comes from bots overall, but also the huge ranges in the percentages cited above. For a site that has 10 – 1,000 site visits per day, another organization, Incapsula, found that only 15% of their traffic was from humans! It didn’t say why, but I wonder if this could be because larger sites have more money to spend on defensive measures? The graphic is pretty interesting:




And finally, what I am not sure I understand is how these bots make money….is it that the site publishers actually hire companies to inflate their traffic? I assume that’s the case, but it is a pretty sad commentary on our society if that’s true.

No comments: