Thursday, April 11, 2019

Frequency of Marketing Emails

I registered an email account to just receive marketing emails from the brands I like or have some interest in. I'm buried in those marketing emails--over 15,000 unopened emails. This seems a vicious circle: knowing the click-through-rate for email marketing is low, marketers are in a race to grab people's attention and send increasingly more emails; the more emails people get, the harder for them to check those emails.

During the digital marketing class, I was working on improving email marketing performance for a dog apparel company. I opened my inbox to check what other brands are doing and realized that most are sending one email per day. Very few offer the option to choose the frequency of receiving marketing emails when I signed up. I could change it in the "manage my subscription" or "preferences" section.

It led me thinking what is the best frequency and whether companies should offer the frequency option when the sign-up window pops up. On the one hand, it seems risky to lower the frequency to let customers see the brand. But on the other hand, how many people are patient enough to change the frequency option instead of canceling the subscription altogether? Is it possible to lower the frequency but increase the customization of those emails to make them more relevant to customers and therefore boost click-through-rate?

No comments: