Thursday, July 25, 2013

Hump Day (GEICO Commercial)

According to this article, GEICO Hump Day Commercial Dominates Social Video, At Least on Wednesdays, one of the more recent GEICO commercials featuring a camel walking throughout an office getting excited about the fact that it's Wednesday (Hump Day), receives an inordinate amount of traffic on Wednesdays and dominates in terms of social media referrals.  If you look at the chart in the article, you see huge spikes (or humps if you will) in social media shares on Wednesdays.

I wonder if this information will compel advertisers to begin "claiming days" trying to create a viral video that can be shared for specific days of the week.  It will be interesting to see how advertisers respond, if at all.

I think the Hump Day commercial is great by the way, but while I have your attention, here are some of my favorites from GEICO.

Tiny House - I'll tell you, the first 5 or 6 times I watched this commercial, I actually thought was a commercial for a TV show and I thought to my self "I have to watch this!"

Parker Solution to Hair Loss - Like Tiny House, the first couple of times I saw this, I thought it was real.  I kept thinking to myself, "are these guys serious?  Does this company think they're going generate customers by showing them?"

Baseball - I don't think this one is in the same league as the other two, but I think this was one of their first commercials in the "I've got good news for you" genre.


No comments: