Saturday, July 20, 2013

AARP finally going digital?

OK - even though I am admittedly old enough to remember blue-chip and green stamps (those fabulous booklets our moms used to put together then trade in for meat grinders, and table lamps)...I am still NOT old enough to be a member of AARP.
Oddly enough though, this organization has had me on their mailing list for the last 10+ years.  I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I did find this article about AARP getting serious about big-data to be somewhat comical, albeit timely considering their future members are actually internet savvy people like me.
The reporter seems to keep focusing on what AARP is not doing with data (a la getting the ages of the recipients of their marketing material correct)...but what I think AARP does get is that people like me are getting closer to their demographic and they need to get a jump start on this big-data thing.
I do think it's great that even though they clearly don't have a fully-baked data strategy, they are beginning to focus on this area in order to derive insights to drive their business.
Maybe by the time I am actually old enough to really be a member, they will have figured out some tactics to use the data in meaningful ways.

As always - here is the link for your reading pleasure:
http://adage.com/article/datadriven-marketing/aarp-data/242157/


No comments: