Monday, July 22, 2013

There's no hiding

It seems there is nowhere digital marketing can't find you.  Locket now allows advertisers to reach you via the lock screen on your mobile phone.  It seems like a natural fit and is a step toward the scenario I suggested in my 7/9/13 post “The future of targeted advertising” describing a day when consumers get paid to be marketed to.

Is this app worth it for the consumer?  Each time you unlock your phone you are looking at a [new?] ad and are paid $0.01 per swipe to unlock with a max of 3 paid swipes or $0.03 per hour.  First off, it seems as though I’m doing twice the work for half the pay.  I imagine ads may be cycling through even when my phone is just sitting in front of me, locked, but in an active or awoken state.  And what about the data these images (and soon video, no doubt) consume?  I guess my max $21.60 per month earned may cover that.  I just need to make sure I’m awake every hour to swipe a few times.
I like the idea of finally getting paid to be advertised to, but I’m not sure this app is for me.  I like seeing a picture of my son every time I pull out my phone.  Giving that up to see an ad for the latest game/body spray/trick to lose weight isn’t worth the more likely $14.40 I would cap out at each
month.
Check out the article here: http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/18/locket-puts-ads-on-smartphone-lock-screens-pays-you-to-use-your-phone/

No comments: