Saturday, July 13, 2013

Banner Retargeting

Retargeting seems to be the new trend in banner display ads.  For those who don't know what it is, retargeting takes your search and click history and intelligently displays banners based on your interests and previous purchases.  From a advertisers perspective, it makes great sense as they are hitting people who have shown some type.  However, from a consumer's perspective it may be getting inundated with the same ads over and over again which can get annoying.  Also, what if I am searching for flowers or something to send to my wife for our anniversary and if she uses my computer, she gets retargeted with ads about buying flowers or who knows what for my anniversary.  I see this as the pop up trend was back in the day - it was the way to advertise but frustrating to the customers.  Eventually, the browsers developed an easy default option to block pop-ups and that industry dwindled away.  I foresee browsers doing something similar in the future with retargeting, something as simple as turning retargeting off as a default option (right now people have to turn their cookies off to prevent being retargeted but then the user loses other benefits of having the cookies on such as storing passwords).   Let's see if I am right, but the industry is touting it as the next big thing for now.  

No comments: