Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Scrolling Horizontal Advertisement


The Scrolling Horizontal Advertisement
 
As I sat waiting for my 2pm meeting, I scanned my iPhone for new twitter feeds, junk emails, Instagram posts, and anything else new on the Internet.  I found myself on an article about this summer's best new workout songs – to really get you pumped up for your run, bike, whatever.  I was actually excited about this one- I wondered if they came up with any new songs I had yet to hear or song I had forgotten about.

As I scrolled down, past the intro paragraph aiming towards the list of songs, an ad popped up on the lower part of my iPhone screen. At first, I actually thought it was part of the website or the article, but upon further inspection, I realized it was an ad for the best summer bod secrets. I tried to ignore and pass it but the ad followed me. I tried to close it out but every time I did, my finger hit the open button, and a new window popped up with the advertiser's website – a somewhat JV site, littered with discount weight loss products. It was annoying at best. I finally- albeit rather quickly - gave up on my new summer workout songs, only 2 into the list and shut the internet window frustrated.

Why would a website allow such advertising on its site? Does the Company know such advertising is happening? Does the advertising have the same – negative – impact on all readers? Whatever the answers, I, for one, will not be so quick to jump to an article posted on that website in the future…

No comments: