Thursday, July 11, 2013

Insanely long 'pre-rolls', indiscriminate buying, AND Justin Bieber? Too good to be true!

As the mother of a teenage girl who cannot stand Justin Bieber (I'm referring to my daughter, although I'm not a fan myself), I am often on the receiving side of sometimes endless rants about how ridiculous this "wanna-be-cool, totally-lame, (etc. etc.) clown" is.

I was completely unprepared though, for the fantastic opportunity that presented itself to me when an article showed up that touched on two of the three topics recently discussed in class AND Justin Bieber - clearly, it's my lucky day!

The author of the article first mentions the 30 second spot that precedes the 45 second celebrity video...which - ok - we all know is not the best way to engage your audience...but what really caught my attention was his observation about ad-buying.

Apparently this fool performer (JB) decided to relieve him and get caught on camera doing it for at least 45 seconds, earning his spot on TMZ for the week...not too special, considering the amount of buffoonery that celebrities regularly provide TMZ with...but here's the real grab of the article:
"what really stood out about the experience of watching the clip was the set-up it got: a 30-second pre-roll ad for Coppertone -- a feel-good nostalgia-fest that begins with an on-screen question:
"What does the smell of Coppertone remind you of?"
Obviously the answer is: Justin Bieber peeing into a mop bucket."
And there you have it folks - yet another great example of media buying gone wrong.  
Here is the link for your entertainment pleasure:
Enjoy!

No comments: