Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Be wary of doctor-rating sites


This article discusses a subject near and dear to my heart especially as I go through this course.  Yes, I’ve been a victim of narcissistic self-googling, initially out of curiosity but now more or less as an obsessive-compulsive behavior.  I’ve seen my ratings online and been fairly smug until I got a 1 out of 4 star rating.  What?!!!  But why?  Who was this and what did I, we, do wrong?!   Did I not answer her questions to her satisfaction?  Was she unhappy with her diagnosis (sometimes patients don’t get that doctors don’t give them the problems – we just diagnose them)?  Was I running particularly late that day?  Did my receptionist give her an attitude?  What?!  Why?!

I cannot stand that physicians are rated like steakhouses on Yelp.  It is my steadfast belief that we doctors get rated based on our bedside manners, and our rating is proportional to how nice we are and how smoothly our offices run, which have precious little to do with how well we manage the patient’s issues.  To make the matters even worse, I hear there are doctors who ask patients to rate them well, some even incentivize patients to do so, and some self-rate, over and over, to get their scores high. 

Once medicine was a revered profession.  Now it’s just commerce.  And there are charlatans (I suppose there always were).

What is even worse, is now the quality metrics which affect payments include patient satisfaction, so if the doctor’s not rated highly, he/she will not get paid accordingly.  In a survey by Emergency Physicians Monthly, 59% of emergency physicians said patient satisfaction surveys increased the amount of tests they ordered.  In another survey by the South Carolina Medical Association, nearly half of physicians said that pressure to improve patient satisfaction led them to inappropriately prescribe antibiotics or narcotics.


So if websites are virtually useless when it comes to assessing the doctor’s skills, how does a lay person find “the best doctor” for so-and-so problem?   Find a primary doctor who have mixed reviews, as he/she may actually provide better care because s/he occasionally says no to patients.  And try not to get sick.

No comments: