Friday, March 04, 2016

Sadie Hawkins, Leap Year, Adtech & Martech

This year is a Leap Year, and this past Monday was Leap Day. Someone mentioned that it was sort of like Sadie Hawkins day…because apparently on February 29th, women were “allowed” to propose marriage. I had never heard that, but it got me thinking about playing hard to get, or not, and what my own mother used to tell me, and what I tell my daughters.

So what does this have to do with digital marketing? Well, a few days ago, I was looking for a dress for my daughter for prom, and I went onto a site I had never visited before. I clicked on a few dresses, examined them further, but hadn’t yet put one in my cart. Then I got a pop-up ad to “Unlock your offer” for 15% off my first order in exchange for my email address. I really don’t need any more emails, so I ignored it. I looked at a couple of more dresses, then left the site. Later on, I was talking to my daughter about what she wanted to wear, and pulled up the site to show her the dresses I had seen. After the first dress, up popped an offer for $100 off of my $250 purchase.

So, clearly I had been retargeted with an offer, a much-improved offer, from this site. And clearly by playing hard to get, the opposite of Sadie Hawkins, I had gotten a better offer. Lesson learned, and lesson communicated to my daughter.

Presumably, this site has enough data on its customers to know what kind of an offer those people who have left the site and then come back need in order to buy. So now my question is: is this what is meant by the conversion of Adtech and Martech? I had seen some headlines, and then I read this article: http://customerthink.com/when-adtech-meets-martech/, but I am still not entirely sure if this situation would be an example of that.


I hope we can explore this further in class. Thanks!

No comments: