Thursday, March 01, 2018

Walmart's lack of digital marketing

https://www.chainstoreage.com/technology/walmart-debuts-mattress-box-new-online-brand/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes-finds/2018/03/01/walmart-joins-the-mattress-craze-with-allswell-home/#43b3b57b2ad5

Walmart joins the online mattress foray with its Allswell Home brand. So I did some research on their digital marketing strategy. I searched on both Google.com and Bing.com the following: "Mattress" and "Mattress online".  You probably guessed the results. Walmart's allswellhome.com or walmart.com did not appear on the first page. In fact, Bing.com showed walmart.com on the second page and google.com did not show walmart.com or allswell.com on the first four pages, so I gave up.

Next, I searched for "allswell" on Google and Bing. Google.com showed a paid advertising link as the first result and Bing showed a health spa link. This reinforces the need to improve their digital marketing practices. Clearly they are bidding on "allswell" keyword and are not consistent across Bing and Google. Also, they should be bidding on "mattress, online" not "allswell" and their content is not in sync with keywords.

Finally, I clicked on the paid result allswellhome.com link on google.com and my company web policies blocked the site from opening in my normal browser. I had to use a secure browser to open the link. In my opinion, this is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Clearly, the company is spending on keywords. But lack of digital marketing know-how is yielding really terrible return on their investment.

No comments: