Friday, March 08, 2019

Tesla is closing stores, shifting all sales online



I recently had my car serviced and as the lease is up in 2 months, rather than take a loaner vehicle I thought it made sense to hang around the dealership and look at the most recent offerings.  I spent nearly 2 hours checking out vehicles, sitting in the backseat, trying the automatic trunk, all of this work, without even a test drive.  Maybe I am old school, but for a car I plan to have for 3 years, I want to make sure it’s the right one….

Never mind I intend to purchase a vehicle, it would likely take me much longer to come to a decision on a vehicle and I certainly wouldn’t do it without a test drive.  This makes the decision for Tesla to shutter most of their stores and go to a mostly online platform an odd one, at least in my eyes.  I can’t imagine purchasing a car online, but then again, I don’t really do many things online, such as purchase a mens suit. 

One could assume that most people buying Tesla’s are likely far more tech saavy than me, so perhaps they are more open to this, however it certainly seems like a desperation move than one that they think most customers would prefer to purchase a car online.  Only time will tell but this is one of the stranger decisions I have seen in the digital space lately.  

No comments: