Monday, July 28, 2014

Foursquare transparency is key to marketers?

I found on AdAge a very interesting article (written by a marketer) about Foursquare's lack of transparency on its metrics. And in fact, when we received that email from Foursquare (the ones of us who are members) announcing the evolution of the Company and its innovations, I believe we were all struck by the 50 million number, which is apparently the size of their community.
My first reaction was the kind of "wow, they are really good!" but when I read this article, I thought about it again and...I don't believe their numbers. Then I found out that they do not share their metrics officially with anyone, and that also marketers have to decide whether to trust them or not based only on what they say.

I believe that is great! The Company is so good in converting the ads that they are showing to users that marketers pay without even knowing what the potential audience is. After all, on Foursquare you pay for the action only, why should they bother?


No comments: