Thursday, July 17, 2014

Creating my website

I have started to create a website : www.epargnons.fr

The goal is to be an online financial advisor for French people. We will be selling only 3 efficient securities portfolios with various level of risks. The problem in France is people do not understand the risk return equation and have an extremely low ownership in stocks and when they do, the portfolios are subject to huge bias.

In setting up this business, I need the 4 following items: 
  • An efficient website 
  • A strong back office process
  • Advocates
  • Regulatory clearance


Building the website is difficult with no prior experience is difficult. I am by no means an expert and have taken the following steps:
  • Went to a web agency to ask how much it would be to set something up together with the back-office integration
  • Pondered, it was way too expensive
  • Figured that to reduce the costs, you needed to start learning how to do it yourself to see how difficult it really is
  • Started a wordpress site to gather the content
  • Started to understand google analytics and wordad + seo optimization
  • Run tests with potential users based on the site, powerpoints and excel spreadsheets
  • Started to learn HTML programming with codeacademy.com

Lessons learned


I know I will not be able to build everything but I believe I have significantly decrease iterative costs linked to the creation of a website. I would however encourage everyone to learn how to code.

No comments: