Thursday, July 17, 2014

Sharing you information for one purpose and then being misused

I went lately to a clinic for a regular health check-up. As part as the medical check-in, I was asked to provide my address and the name of my spouse, a person to contact in case of emergency.

Yesterday, we received a marketing letter for my wife about this clinic with a “free trial”. I thought this was completely inappropriate as I had not disclosed my address and the name of my spouse for this purpose.

With the emergence of the tracking, and cross-feed of the information through platforms in exchange of “free” content, shouldn’t there be some well advertized way to understand what is being exchanged?

Europe has started to implement laws to curve this use through the Data Protection Directive. In the US, specific laws, federal and per state have limited specific information to be shared. I would encourage you to read:


http://www.consumerprivacyguide.org/law/ 

No comments: