Sunday, July 01, 2012

Online portfolio to showcase work

Article on leveraging internet for career management on the NYTimes. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/jobs/an-online-portfolio-can-showcase-your-work-career-couch.html?_r=1&ref=technology

The article recommends having a web portfolio of accomplishments so your personal brand is visible and consistent to potential hiring companies.  The online portfolio should include samples of your best work- think of it as a 'brag book' online.  Presentations, reports and links to blogs should be considered. 

Platforms for creative professionals to display their work visually, include: Behance, Carbonmade and Dripbook.  Cost ranges from free to about $40 a month. You can also register a domain name and create your own website 

Of course, check with your company if this is OK first.  

In the age where the internet has a wealth of information about you (whether you want to or not), what do you think about keeping an online portfolio?  Privacy concerns?  Professional identity theft?



3 comments:

Eric S. said...

Doesn't linked-in allow for much of this kind of content? As for the blogging as part of a resume package, I could see that going either way. If you'd show posts to a potential employer or client, you'd have to be extra certain you maintained a professional demeanor, etc. Interesting idea, though. Thanks for posting!
Eric

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I like the idea of having my own website/online portfolio, but I am not sure that the majority of what I do can be visually represented (certainly not well). What do they expect I do? Hire a graphic designer? oy.

Also, I don't know how I feel about this overly articulated personal brand. What about my desire to constantly reinvent myself? I don't like the idea of a set public persona.

Now I'm rambling. The truth is, I think it's cool, but between getting in my four hours of sleep a night and designing a website between 2 and 6 am...I think I might opt for the former.