Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pay for Facebook?

Media Bistro is citing an Abrams Research study that says that 30% of people are willing to pay for Facebook. The assertion, of course, is that they don't have to pursue some elusive, new-wave advertising model but can instead take advantage of the fact that they are the leader in social networking and get their membership to put up some cashmoney. Afterall - with so many users it couldn't be very much, right?

This reminded me of last night when the question was asked if we would be willing to pay for quality investigative journalism in light of decline of print media. I had said yes to that, because I beleive its SO important for a democracy and government transparency and...blah blah blah...but!

THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD EVER PAY FOR FACEBOOK
never ever ever. ever.

I mean - even if it were were pennies - this would mean Facebook would have access to your credit card and other identity info and they have shown us that they are not super suave on the privacy-front in the past. Just recently they seem to have gotten rid of the "Limited Profile" without my knowing. I mean it appears they did so with the intent of giving us more options (instead of groups you can set it for individuals), but in the meantime my mother-in-law, step-mother-in-law, and the crazy Finance Director from my last job have all probably seen that nasty picture you took of me at the last Happy Hour.

Besides - it seems sick and wrong to pursue BOTH a membership and an advertising strategy. If I pay you I would expect absolutely no advertising. Ever.

So, while right now Facebook is one of the easiest ways for me to keep in touch with a lot of friends in many different places, I am in no way loyal to them. The second they step over the line I am gone.

Afterall, my Friendster and MySpace accounts are still active.

No comments: