Friday, February 27, 2009

Save me from Windows Vista

It’s now more than a year that I have been fighting with Windows Vista and missing my old XP.

Windows Vista was released in beginning of 2007 with after a huge hype but it has proven to disappoint not only me, but most of the users. Furthermore, businesses have adapted very slowly this new system due to numerous pitfalls of this system. What is wrong with it? Just to mention a few frequent and basic troubles… many of the programs and computer peripherals (e.g. printers) do not work and are incompatible, overall there is a much slower performance - especially during start up and shut down phases - not mention a shorter battery life and a problematic hibernate status.

So what are the advantages? A part for a more cool design, graphics and enhanced video capabilities, I still haven’t realized what the improvements of this new operating system are.

Unfortunately there aren’t many options. A part from converting to Apple’s Mac, if you are lucky you can still find the older and mostly wide used version of Windows XP regularly uploaded on HP and Lenovo PCs, available until June 30th. Another option would be to downgrade from the installed Vista to the XP or lastly hope that a new version of Vista will bring improvements to the current and numerous issues.
Isabella


1 comment:

Sean M said...

I agree Vista is pretty terrible. It just requires way to much memory to run effectively. After my frustration with Vista a classmate suggested I try the Windows 7 beta that was recently released by Microsoft. I am as afraid of beta products as much as the next guy but I got so frustrated I decided to give it a try. To my amazement this beta product is better than any initial release Microsoft has done in the last 10 years. Windows 7 is a back to basic operating system. The key is that you don't even notice it.

Vista users will probably note that its not a complete departure but its different where it counts (speed!). It also makes a lot of changes that make a big difference. Windows 7 boots up in less than a minute (and if you're a Mac user your probably used to that conveniece already).

Mac users probably won't be impressed enough by Vista to switch but Windows 7 could very much halt the bleeding for Microsoft customers defecting to windows because of their frustrations.

Try the beta.. I use it on my school computer and its probably the most stable product I've used from MSFT in years.