Thursday, August 02, 2012

Will the GPS manufacturers be dead in few year?

7 to 8 years ago, I was excited by these little GPS devices from manufacturer such as Garmin. It revolutionize my driving experience. I could travel without the need of looking a map. It save a lot of my travel planning time.

At the point in time, I thought this device would rule the world and that those manufacturers would become so so so rich. We should make an investment in them. Even though I knew that tech companies usually not last very long. I thought GPS companies were an exception.

Fast forward to 2012, these devices are almost become obsolete. Online mapping service such as Google maps and GPS apps are replacing them. Why paying $150 for a device while you can do a navigation on your tablet for free, with much better, more updated POIs. For those living in areas where cellular connection is not reliable, you could pay $19 to buy a map software to use it on your phone.

The landscape is changing so fast and those tech firms would not last very long, unless they could come up with the new revenue model.

No comments: