Sunday, October 13, 2013

Do you clear your cookies?

I use a program called Safari Cookies to manage the cookies on my web browser.  This program allows me to manage automatically delete cookies when I close my browser.  In addition, I can select sites that won't have their cookies deleted.  If I select a site as my "favorite," Safari Cookies will not delete cookies from that site when I close my browser.  If the site is not a "favorite," the cookies are deleted.

I do this in an attempt to balance privacy with the ease of being logged in to my favorite websites.  If I allow my favorite sites to keep cookies on my computer, I do not have to enter my password every time.

But am I loosing out on digital marketing that would be beneficial to me?  If I am constantly deleting my cookies, websites can't track my browsing habits.  I often wonder if I'm losing out on something as a result.

How does this affect digital marketers?  My guess is that most people do not regularly delete their cookies.  However, those who do likely represent a sophisticated and affluent market segment.  Cookies are also transparent because you can see which websites are tracking your browser.  This transparency is likely important, because customers feel less like they are being spied upon if they can identify who is tracking them.  Privacy concerns will continue to be an issue in the future, and companies need to ensure trust from customers and others to whom they plan to advertise.


No comments: