Sunday, October 20, 2019

New Ways to Collect Consumer Feedback

Since starting Professor Kagan's Digital Marketing Class, I have been noticing many new ways that companies are trying to gather consumer feedback through digital tools. In the new age of connected-ness, where consumers expect brands to speak directly to them frequently, companies are now using the same output tools to encourage feedback and engagement back from consumers. Companies are using direct feedback to inform their decisions and improve their advertising. When I have seen examples of companies collecting feedback, it has been helpful to view these examples through the context of our class content and consider how advertisers and publishers will use this information to improve their content and approach.

I recently noticed on Facebook that they started asking questions about my ability to recall recent advertisements directly on my Newsfeed. Just this week they asked me if I remembered seeing an Ad for Dick's Sporting Goods in the last 2 days. Honestly, I had not remembered seeing anything from this company. There is a chance I was a control in their test, but if they had served me an ad for Dick's Sporting Goods, and I did not remember it, hopefully now they can use this information to serve me a more effective ad in the future. I was very happy to respond to this question and was willing to do it without any form of compensation. If Facebook started asking me questions like this daily I would be very annoyed, but in small amounts, I actually found it to be engaging and with good intentions.

Here is the questionnaire:



In addition, the popular app iBotta, that offers consumer coupon and money back for loading receipts, often has videos users have to watch before they can access the promotional coupon. Instead of requiring a video view, some companies have started asking potential consumers a question about their understanding of the product or category. This is a relatively easy and inexpensive way to get feedback from potential consumers who have already expressed interest in the product. Recently, I was asked if I knew that Philadelphia Cream Cheese's single serve dip cups were microwaveable. I didn't know this, so I was able to give them this feedback while at the same time I learned this important aspect about their product.





No comments: