Friday, May 28, 2010

Who Moved My Crops?

By a non-Happy Farmer

I'm not an active SNS person, even though I checked my facebook and Kaixin (China version of facebook) frequently and enjoyed reading about my friends' new feed. I'm kind of lagged behind the era, my friends when they already became expert, I just got to know there is a SNS game called "Happy Farm". For those who are even more lagged behind than me, see the link below to know what "Happy Farm" is). From that days on, I often saw things like "X moved *** from Y's farm...". Still, I cannot understand why this"naive" game can become so popular (I would appreciate if anyone can stand out and convince me the goodness of this kind of game). I know many will object, but for me, this is just a waste of time and "doing well by not doing good", even though SNS firms may earn millions from such game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-KMhbH27gA&feature=related

Some recent findings in China even increased my concerns. Because of this game, some players have been fired, lovers have broken up, but none of them can stop “Happy Farms” from becoming increasingly popular!!! The game developers only allow 2 million new players every day, but there are still more people waiting to play!!! Some true stories to share, though a bit extreme:

June 26th, a Netizen called “eifeng” posted an article called “Playing web games at work, that’s awesome!”. He said there was an official in XX city that was fired because she was online playing the game. The reason she was playing the game was because she was worried someone would steal her crops.

Another story is about a couple who had been together for 4 years. But after they started playing the game “Happy Farms”, their relationship was on the rocks. The guy had to work late, so he told his girlfriend to set the alarm and help him manage the farm while he was gone. But unfortunately, the girlfriend was pregnant, so one of the nights, the alarm didn’t wake her up. When the next day came, the guy found that not only did his girlfriend not harvest the crops, a lot of his crops were also stolen by other players. He got really angry and had a huge fight with the girl. In the end, they broke up and got rid of their baby...

This might not happen on any of us, but can be a good warning to all. If you are becoming an addict to Happy Farm, watch the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLNVbmeWgII

I have a dream that one day I can have my own farm, but no way it is a fictional online farm!!!

No comments: