Thursday, August 02, 2012

To Stylus or not to Stylus?

Steve Jobs would be very unhappy reading this article- why does anyone need a stylus?  He created the iPhone and iPad specifically without a stylus!  However, thousands are using them every day and there is a growing number of styles to choose from.  Most have a rubber tip but there are metal tips.  They come in all shapes, sizes, weights and colors.  Some do double duty as a pen too. 


I have to admit- a stylus does come in handy, especially when wearing gloves or with long fingernails.  Sometimes cold fingers don't work.  It is also helpful to take notes with or to draw with.  I have spent hours playing Draw Something, minus a stylus!  It would have been so helpful to have a stylus.  I often mistype on the iPhone- maybe I need a stylus?  But where would I put it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/02/technology/personaltech/on-touch-screens-rest-your-finger-by-using-a-stylus-state-of-the-art.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&ref=technology

1 comment:

auerblog said...

I guess it depends how much iPads and such are supposed to be incorporated into our everyday lives. As a student, the stylus has been instrumental to taking notes on the iPad; nothing can quite take the place of a pen and paper when you need to scribble something quickly in the margins or draw some IS-LM-FE models. While I would love to say that I can type just as quickly on my iPad as I do my laptop, unfortunately, I am just not there yet. My vote, for now, is TO STYLUS!