Sunday, June 30, 2013

Are we talking about a start up bubble enough?



I actually came to this epiphany today in the company of friends. Sure I have read countless articles in the first half of this year that talk about the start up bubble (and emphasis of start ups in tech by the way) and I'm sure many would say that they know atleast a handful of people in their immediate network who have/has started a start up or atleast worked for one at some point in their career. I digress - but are we talking about this phenomenon enough? I attended a few business school graduations this year and the number of students going into financial services and/or consulting had dropped off significantly. Further have come from an investment banking background myself right out of college where the analyst class was in the 250 - 275 range, it is shopping to know now that the class may be 80 people!! On the other hand perhaps people at the presumable graduate level are turning to start ups because the cost of graduate school – the “I want my own enterprise so what do I need this $200K degree for” sort of people. I think it will be interesting to watch over the next few years the areas of our society that would lead us to believe that we are in a start up bubble or atleast headed for one. The areas that are tangential to the core start up statistics will be most interesting to watch. Just food for thought…

No comments: