Tuesday, June 11, 2013

No One Sees Your Online Ad....

I came across a very interesting article on the state and effectiveness of online advertising, specifically that almost half of all online advertisements are not read.

The article is titled "Worse Than You Thought: Nearly Half of Online Ads Aren't Viewed" though ironically this is actually better than I thought.

Apparently, comScore said that 31% of ads weren't seen last year and now this new calculation has the percent at 46%.  Can we trust these metrics?  I'm surprised it isn't 95%.  ComScore counts an online ad as viewable if at least 50% of pixels are in view for at least half a second for a site visitor. Of course, this is a joke, it should probably be 100% of the ad for at least 2 seconds. Can a flash of half of the pixels really have an impact on the mind?  I doubt that.

Some of this has to do w/the calculations, but at lower tier sites, the % is lower.  It is unclear if this includes search advertising, but from my reading of the article, it seems to only include website advertising, not search.

For me, the only online advertisements I've ever clicked on are the ones that move under my cursor just before I'm about to click somewhere else (those sneaky devils). 

I'd pay for an advertisement free Internet, would you?

No comments: