Saturday, June 29, 2013

Company websites

Since I rarely look at Facebook or Twitter, I have long been annoyed by companies whose ads suggest visiting their Facebook page or following them on Twitter. I understand there are reasons why companies would prefer these over directing people to their own website, but I never felt any compelling reason to "like" or "follow" a company. So I was glad to find a Wired article discussing how companies are once again spending more time focusing on their own websites.

In this weekend's class we discussed how companies are moving on from standard banner ads, which users got very good at ignoring, to rich media that is more engaging and can really make a company stand out. I think this article shows that something similar may be happening with the social networks. By taking the data they get from the social networks and reorganizing it in a manner that fits in with their site, companies can add to the static company and product information they usually present. They can also be more creative in how they engage with customers since they are not as restricted by the social networks.

No comments: