Thursday, October 12, 2006

Free international calls from a land line

First, there was Net-to-Phone and other competitors, then Skype, GoogleTalk, and other over-the-internet calling plans that dramatically reduced the cost of making long distance phone calls. Now, there seems to be a new player on the market offering free phone calls from your land line (not a computer), with no catch! Well, just one minor catch- you need to be able to first call a number in Iowa to initiate the international leg of the call. However, for most individuals they have access to cell phone plans or home phone plans that accomodate free domestic calling based on their monthly package.

Go to Futurephone to see this for yourself - I personally could not believe it, and still have a strange feeling that by using it I will somehow be allowing Big Brother into my life to monitor my activities. However, their claim does seem to be true: they are offering no-strings-attached free telephone calls. I have not yet tried it. According to the website, they are trying to build a brand. I'm not sure how this accomplishes that or what kinds of services they will be offering in the future. Of course, I'm also assuming that they're not just phone call philanthropists giving away their money. In any case, we should probably enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments: