Friday, September 28, 2012

Apple's Maps Apology


I was really surprised to see Apple’s open letter apologizing for the maps fiasco.  Maybe I underestimated the severity of the issue, but the letter brought the issue to another level for me.  I was especially surprised to see that in the letter Apple CEO Tim Cook even suggest downloading other maps programs. 

My first knee-jerk reaction was “Steve Jobs would never have let this happen.”  In am no Steve Jobs groupie but we all know he was a perfectionist.  The Atlantic reminded me though that this is not the first mistake followed by an open apology from Apple.  They cite examples including the signal issues of iPhone 4 and the $200 drop in price of the iPhone just two months after it went on sale (which surprisingly has not discouraged early adopters of future models).    

Here is a link to the letter and The Atlantic’s commentary.  

No comments: