Sunday, September 30, 2012

Social Media Improves Customer Service

A new post on Mashable this weekend details Why Social Media Makes Customer Service Better. In the post, Henry Rollason explains:

  • It targets both current and potential future customers
  • It addresses existing customer service needs, such as measurement, reach, and conversion
Rollason points to two presentations, from UPS and KLM, on how they have utilized social media to improve their customer service programs. One of the highlights of the UPS presentation is that social media allows brands to have a 2nd chance with their customer--if a customer has a bad initial customer service experience and broadcast this on social media platforms, UPS can find that customer and discover what went wrong and how they can improve it. This level of interaction was previously impossible before social media channels, and makes UPS more effective at customer service over time.

While social media allows these interactions to occur, some brands are far better at this strategy than others. Rollason notes that a recent A.T. Kearny study found that of the top 50 brands, 56% did not respond to customer complaints on their Facebook page. Recently, I had several horrible customer service experiences with H.P., and finally decided to vent about it on forums and social networks. While an H.P. representative did reach out to me to assure me that they would solve my problem, they then fed me back to the same representative I had spoken to previously--the source of my complaint. I am now convinced I would not buy an H.P. product again or refer it to any of my friends due to this failed communication and service. This is a clear example of how brands can misuse or underutilize the power of social media channels, and signals that the brands who use social media properly may be the ones who succeed.

Full Link: http://mashable.com/2012/09/29/social-media-better-customer-service/

No comments: