Monday, October 07, 2013

The Various Use of Facebook

This week I found a very funny (not serious at all) article about the analysis of words used on Facebook. The results show that women tend to use the words such as shopping, exciting, love, cute, dress etc. the most, and on the other hand, men tend to use the F world A LOT. The socio-linguistic study, published by researchers of University of Pennsylvania and Cambridge University prove that despite our position in society, we all have childishness inside ourselves. The analysis revealed that females tend to use more emotion words and psychological social processes while males tend to use more swear words and object references.

It was funny to realize that Facebook statuses are actually being used to research the psychology of human beings. It has become such a big part of our lives to most of the population in the world. No wonder why all the ad agencies and companies are trying to use Facebook as an advertising tool. It also gave me the thought that it will be a good historical reference in the future. Using someone’s Facebook would be equivalent discovering a diary of someone really famous.

This article also reminded me of the time I ran a program that showed the words I used the most on Facebook. I was surprised to see the words because I was not aware at all that I used the words that had popped up on screen that frequently. I think people unconsciously use certain words and especially on Facebook, they don’t really put a lot of thought into what they are typing in.


No comments: