Thursday, July 26, 2018

Australia: "My Health Record Agency Adds "public interest" to Cancellation Options"

My Health Record Agency Adds "Public Interest to Cancellation Options"

IN AUSTRALIA: My Health Record is an agency which gives partners access to sensitive healthcare information, including Medicare Records, prescriptions, tests, and more.  Four companies (Tesla, Health Engine, Tyde, and Healthi), uses this information via My Health Record on their mobile applications.

After facing challenges in its ability to store sensitive information on the platform, the Australian Digital Health Agency (DHA) imposed an amended agreement to the above listed companies, containing stricter rules.  With the new agreement, contracts could be terminated if it "damages My Health Record's reputation"and gives the company a five-day window.

Data privacy law expert Katharine Kemp said even the public interest cancellation clause did not go far enough.
"I think it's a good idea to have a public interest ground for termination, but I'm not sure why you'd allow a health app to operate for five extra business days if you'd formed the view this was contrary to the public interest," she said.
Dr. Kemp also argues that it is the governments responsibility to ensure that health applications are using the highest standard of consent, which even the new contract does not do.

While this obviously took place in Australia, I think it is good food for thought on this side of the world.  Personally, I've used numerous health apps; including MyHealth, Doctor on Demand, and the City MD Portal - and I've never thought twice about who has access to my private health information.  What the are the laws in the US regarding this sensitive material and what body oversees the rules; do the current procedures have our best interests in mind?

No comments: