Friday, June 01, 2018

Digital Marketing on Smart Watches and Wearables

I'm surprised by how little digital marketing is being done on smart watches and wearable devices. Most people I know have some sort of wearable tech. The industry expects that wearables will continue to grow. After a quick search about advertising on smart watches there are lots of articles stating the potential for advertising and marketing in this format but I haven't seen much done about it yet. It seems like wearables would have a considerable amount of live-data that could help target potential customers. I think the key is going to be whether companies can find a way to advertise on these devices without the ads feeling intrusive to the user. For example, I certainly would not want ads to come up on a smart watch whenever they pleased or were part of the "screen saver". However, if my watch knew that I was exiting a clothing store where I had made a large purchase (lots of bags) and prompted me about whether I would like to call an Uber to go home, I may be pleasantly surprised that I did not have to get my phone out, open the uber app, and signal that I was ready for a ride. That brings me to the second key challenge, purchasing options over a wearable. To call an Uber, it may not be an issue because your data is already stored in the app but if you were prompted, for example, to buy movie tickets that were about to start near you and skip the line, how would checkout for your order if you had never used the service before. Companies trying to enter this space will have to carefully consider these two challenges if and when they start to market over wearables.

Here are a couple more articles on the topic that I found interesting:

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/275167

http://www.pennapowers.com/wearable-technology-and-advertising-exploring-current-and-future-possibilities/


No comments: