Monday, November 18, 2013

Is Neiman Marcus Stalking Me Online?

Stalking is a serious crime that affects ~6.5 million adults in the U.S. per year. For those who are in search of help to address this crime, please stop reading immediately and seek support through Protection Against Stalking, a national charity that aims to create a consistent, professional and effective response to victims of stalking and harassment. 

For the rest of us whose lives are not at immediate risk, it might be worth the time to check out Digital Stalking, a website launched by Jennifer Perry, an internet safety expert and consumer advocate responsible for writing the first U.K. Internet Safety Guide.

(Yes, that was supposed to be a humorous opening to this blog…). With all of the above said, if Neiman Marcus (NM) is really “stalking” me (seriously, is this blog read by enough progressives so that I can safely admit that I might actually like it or should I hide my "name tent" for the final three weeks of class?) why has it taken so long for NM to find me? For months, I swooned over this season’s Valentino’s Rockstud Ballerina Flats…I even let myself “Add" them to my "Shopping Bag” on my most visit to NM's website.  Alas, my actions had a direct result in the start to my "pre-Thanksgiving holiday downward-spending-spiral."

Before taking this fantastic class, I don’t think I really would have noticed or cared that much about what happened next – literally less than two days later the below ad popped up in my In-Box – at 2AM while I was still working and in the office (does NM know that I work insanely long hours)?  It said "The Items In Your Shopping Bag Will Disappear Soon – TAKE 10% OFF your shopping bag items when you use code “SHOPBAG.” It was a simple email, and yet at 2AM I felt the urgency to use the coupon before my chance at owning the flats disappeared!

Following the delivery of the boxes from NM (yes, "boxes" as in plural), I sought out to explore potential conversion rates for targeted coupons sent via email.  In the most recent study that I could find, I learned that the conversion rate for such emails is ~4.0%!!  !Es increible!

No comments: