Sunday, November 22, 2020

Black Friday Marketing Tactics

I love the Thanksgiving Holidays and I love a good deal. Black Friday is something that I enjoy taking advantage of and I even plan my larger purchases around it, whether new clothing or electronics. The landscape for Black Friday has evolved a ton in the past few years. Gone are the days when you would camp out overnight in front of Best Buy to get that laptop. I did that one year in the Minnesotan winter, which was absolutely brutal. The experience was great though. Nowadays, it seems like Black Friday deals start the week before, or even all of November. 

I started thinking about deals this year, and how advertisers use digital marketing, especially since a lot of the purchases this year will be virtual. They seem to be timing ads, focusing on email marketing, and above all, acting early. I don't remember seeing Black Friday email blitzes and TV placements this early in previous years. The deals are aggressive and in your face, with large bold letters and vibrant colors. Subject lines are also getting more creative. I saw one that looked like a reply (subject line re:) making it look like an ongoing conversation. Finally, there seems to be a timing element and the usual limited quantities.

In the past, I've always been wary of fake Black Friday deals, but this year, it seems to be even more prevalent. I've resorted to crowdsourced information like Reddit, in order to find the best deals. People can chime in with their opinions and beat the information asymmetry. For larger purchases, I even check historical prices. It seems Black Friday is being redefined and the advertising and marketing is being adapted for the digital age. 



No comments: