Friday, June 23, 2017

Google to Stop Reading Users' Emails to Target Ads

I was surprised to come across this article in the WSJ today that talks about Google's change in policy to stop reading Gmail users' emails in order to target them with advertising. I have stated in previous blog posts that I really don't care much about privacy but this one caught me a bit off-guard. Although I am a longtime Gmail user, I had no idea about this and can't think of a time where I was targeted based on something discussed via email. Nevertheless, I feel like this is an invasion of privacy that I'm sure many people out there, similar to myself, had previously thought was sacred. 

I think there is a fine line between monitoring what people look up on the internet and what they are communicating with friends, family, and coworkers. This is no different than tapping our phone lines in my opinion. I, for one, am glad to hear Google is ending this craziness and hope others will follow suit. 


https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-to-stop-reading-users-emails-to-target-ads-1498247136

No comments: