Thursday, July 20, 2017

#OnGoogleMaps

As they say, if you're not growing, you're dying.  Therefore, in conjunction with adding the "feature" of ads in Maps to generate additional revenue, Google has begun a digital ad campaign to promote this feature, which is promoted by the hashtag #OnGoogleMaps.  Given that I'm promoting this for free, I feel that I should get a cut of the profits.

So far, lesser-known celebrities have been used as a part of this campaign, but I feel that is a part of their strategy.  Perhaps lesser-knowns are being used because they only need to promote basic awareness of this "feature," which will in turn lead to more revenue?  For example, I had no idea there even were ads on Google Maps, but now I do thanks to this article, and it didn't take them paying a megastar millions to generate this awareness. Cost savings at its finest.

Thankfully, Google is treading carefully here, which I think is the correct strategy.  When looking for directions or details on a map, you don't want to be bombarded with ads - at least I certainly don't. While the article does not provide too much detail as to how this generates revenue for Google or what the ads look like, businesses that want to be more visible can place a brand logo on Maps or offer in store promotions via Maps.  One thing is for certain, the ever expansive world of ads will only continue to get bigger over time.

http://adage.com/article/digital/google-maps-ad-campaign/309828/

No comments: